为什么女性少先队创立者和领导者那么少

分享文章到微信
关注新文阁公众号
男总统和女总统哪个更靠谱 为什么女性领导人那么少
来源:新文阁
编辑:峰峰
导读 : 根据2014年皮尤研究中心的调查,大多数美国人,认为无论男女都能成为一个良好的政治领袖。当涉及到身为一个领导人所需的特质,男性和女性都认为女性比男性更富有同情心,更有组织力更诚实,同时认为男性比女性更加雄心勃勃和更加果断。但是,研究发现当问题涉及到性别和领导才能,男...
  根据2014年皮尤研究中心的调查,大多数美国人,认为无论男女都能成为一个良好的政治领袖。当涉及到身为一个领导人所需的特质,男性和女性都认为女性比男性更富有同情心,更有组织力更诚实,同时认为男性比女性更加雄心勃勃和更加果断。但是,研究发现当问题涉及到性别和领导才能,男性和女性受访者的选项存在着显著的差异。
  在这次调查中,女性认为男性更加容易掌握政治领袖能力,她们认为拥有更多的女性领导人将会提升女性的生活质量。大约有四分之三的女性受访者认为男性比女性更加容易当选为高级政治职位,而只有58%的男性认同这个观点。38%的女性同意如果更多女性从事政治或商业的最高领导职务将会&大大提升&所有美国女性的生活质量。而相比之下只有19%的男性表示认同。同样的差异亦也出现在了不同的政党中,超过共和党人两倍的民主党人认为有更多的女性获得高级政治职位将会提升女性的生活质量,无政党人士排在中间。
  在2015年,总共有104位女性参与国会,占全部参议院和众议院席位的19%。从调查结果看来,美国公众并没有关于女性在顶级政治选举中落选的原因达成共识,尽管多数女性受访者将其归咎于社会和制度因素。大约有一半(47%)的女性受访者认为很难有更多的女性获得顶级政治职位,其背后主要的原因是女性候选人比起男性的衡量标准更高,相比较下只有28%的男性受访者认同这个观点。十分之四的女性受访者(41%)认为阻碍女性成为政治角色的原因是很多美国人并没有做好选举女性成为高级官员的准备,而只有十分之三(31%)的男性受访者认同。33%的女性,相比只有21%的男性,认为主要原因是女性得到政党领导人的支持不够。相对较少比例的男性(15%)和女性(18%)认为女性的家庭责任是主要原因。
  对于不同性别的政治领袖在五个方面的相对实力,两性间的看法差异始终明显。尽管大多数男性和女性受访者都认为性别之间并无这些特质的差别。其中一个巨大的差异在于41%的女性受访者认为女性在妥协方面更胜一筹,而相同观点的男性只有27%。女性受访者认为女领导人在诚信度、道德、提升美国人的生活质量、在政治压力下坚持己见和说服力上这些方面都超越男领导人。
  对于女性参政,调查发现不同年代的受访者的意见不一。较年轻的女性更偏向于认同女性并没有在某些方面更胜一筹,而是偏向认同在某些特质上男女平等。例如,33%的千禧世代的女性受访者和37%的X世代的女性受访者认为女性在妥协能力方面比男性强,相比较之下有大约一半的婴儿潮世代(47%)和沉默世代(50%)的女性受访者认同这一观点。当问及哪一种性别的领导者更能改善美国人民的生活素质,只有22%的千禧世代的受访女性和24%的X世代的受访女性认为女性领导者更胜一筹,而有39%婴儿潮世代的受访女性和35%的沉默世代的受访女性赞同这一观点。
  民主党员比共和党员对于一个有潜力成为总统的女性表示更加热情。根据调查结果,党派差异相比性别差异更加明显。当调查中问及受访者是否希望在他们的一生中见证一位女性总统的诞生,或者对他们而言这无关紧要。对大多数受访者来说,希拉里总统当选的前景可能会影响他们对这条&假设性&问题的回应。民主党的女性受访者(69%)最希望一位女性美国总统在她们有生之年诞生。在共和党人之中,只有少数女性(20%)和男性(16%)希望女总统的出现,而有大约三分之一(32%)的无党派男性表示认同。
当前栏目:
推荐栏目:
上一篇:下一篇:
最新爱问日报
他就是谢帝!当年参加央视三套的音乐节目《中国好歌曲》,以一首《明...
随着网民们娱乐精神的愈发高涨,2017年初的网络热词、新梗数量就有...
《爸爸去哪儿5》中嗯哼叫邓伦爸爸, 邓伦: 只要杜江和霍思燕同意近...
如今大红的小鲜肉-鹿晗的女朋友是谁?这是很多人想知道的一个问题,...
本周热门排行登录网易通行证
使用网易通行证(含网易邮箱)帐号登录
提交您的投诉或建议
视频画面花屏
视/音频不同步
播放不流畅
分享给朋友:
扫描分享给微信好友和朋友圈
扫一扫分享给微信好友和朋友圈
通过代码可以让这个视频在其它地方上播放!
复制FLASH代码
复制HTML代码
复制页面地址
使用公开课APP下载视频
扫描二维码 手机继续看
扫描二维码在手机上继续观看,
还可分享给您的好友。
没有公开课客户端?
登录后才能查看我的笔记
暂时没有笔记!
确定删除笔记?
即将播放下一集,请您保存当前的笔记哦!
对字幕纠错要登录哦!
内容不能少于3个字
[第1课]为什么女性领导那么少?
脸谱网首席运营官谢乐尔·桑德伯格看到为什么女性在职业高管比例中要比男性所占比例小,她讲了让女性直至总裁级高管的3个强有力的建议。(翻译:Angelia King,审译:Qian Yue)
讲师:Sheryl Sandberg
授课语言:英文
类型:心理 TED
课程简介:脸谱网首席运营官谢乐尔·桑德伯格看到为什么女性在职业高管比例中要比男性所占比例小,她讲了让女性直至总裁级高管的3个强有力的建议。(翻译:Angelia King,审译:Qian Yue)
扫描左侧二维码下载客户端Sheryl Sandberg 谈为何女性领导者太少
对于今天在座的各位,我们首先要承认自己很幸运。我们没有生在我们母亲或是祖母那个时代,当时女性的职业选择非常有限。而你们今天能坐在这里,说明我们大多数人都拥有基本的公民权利。令人惊讶的是,现今世界仍有一些女性得不到这些权利。但撇开这些不谈,我们还面临一个问题,是个真正的问题。问题如下:女性无法做到任何职业的高层,世界各地都如此。数据清楚的说明了一切,190位国家元首,只有9位女性;世界各国的议会成员,女性只占13%。在企业部门,女性作为领导者,如部门主管、公司董事,至多只有15%、16%。这一数字自2002年来没有变动,并有下降的趋势。即便是在非盈利领域,有时我们认为这一领域会有更多的女性领导者,女性领导者的比例:20%。
我们还面临另一个问题,就是女性在职业和家庭之间面临更艰难的选择。美国近期研究表明,已婚的高层管理人员之中,2/3的已婚男性有孩子,而只有1/3的已婚女性有孩子。几年前,我在纽约谈一笔生意。我坐在纽约这间华丽的私募资金公司办公室中,你们想象得到。在会议中,一个长达3小时的会议,2小时过后,因为人的生理需求,需要休息一会儿。所有人都站起来,会议的举办者看上去有些尴尬。我意识到,他不知道办公室的女厕所在哪里。于是我开始找搬运箱在哪,以确定他们刚搬进来。但没找到,于是我问,“你们是不是刚搬进这间办公室?”他回答,“不,我们搬进来有一年了。”我说,“你是告诉我,我是一年以来到这里谈生意的唯一女性?”他看着我说,“对,或者说你是唯一要去厕所的女性。”
因此问题在于,我们该如何解决这问题?我们怎样改变女性领导者的数目?我们怎样让它有所改观?我想说的是,我谈到把女性留在职场中,因为我认为这就是解决办法。对于高收入的人群,或是最终做到高层的人—财富500强的CEO,或者其他行业的佼佼者。问题在于,我相信,是女性退出了。现在人们对这些谈论很多,他们谈论的多是弹性工时和师徒制度,以及公司对女性的培训程序。这些都不是我要讲的,虽然这也很重要。今天,我想把重点放在作为个体,我们能做什么?我们要告诉自己什么?我们要告诉女同事和女下属什么?我们要告诉女儿什么?
首先,我想要说明,这场演讲没有任何定论。我没有正确答案,连我自己都没有。周一我离开旧金山,我的居所。我要赶飞机来参加此次会议。我女儿,三岁。当我把她送到托儿所,她抱着我的腿,哭着说,“妈妈,不要上飞机”之类的话。这很难,有时候我感觉内疚。我知道没有哪个女性,不论是在家里还是在职场,没有过这种感受。因此我没有说留在职场中对所有人都是正确的。
我今天要说的是,如果你想要留在职场中,你要告诉自己什么。我认为有三点:一,加入谈论;二,找个真正的人生伴侣;三,不要过早离开。第一,加入谈论。就在几星期前,在Facebook,我们邀了一个高层政府官员,他在来自硅谷的高级主管们的陪同下入场,所有人都加入谈论。与他一同到来的有两名女性,在其部门中也是高层。我对她们说,“坐到桌旁,来,加入谈论”。她们却坐到了会议室一角。当我在大学最后一年,我上了一门课,《欧洲思想史》。你们不都喜欢这类大学课程吗?我希望现在我会喜欢。我跟室友Carrie一起上课,她当时是个有才华的文学学生,现在是个有才华的文学学者。我弟弟,很聪明,是个爱打水球的医科学生,上二年级。
我们三个一起上课,Carrie读了所有的希腊语和拉丁语的原版书,每节课都到。我读了所有英文书,大部分课都到。我弟弟比较忙,12本书中只读了一本,只去上了几节课。在临考几天前,跑到我们宿舍临时抱佛脚。我们三个一起去考试。我们坐下来,坐了大约三个钟头,还有蓝色的小笔记本,就是那个年代。我们走出考场,彼此对视并问到,“你考的怎么样?”Carrie说,“天呐!我觉得自己在黑格尔辩证法上,没有答出要点。”我说,“天呐!我希望自己能把洛克的财产理论和下面的哲学家联系起来。”而我弟弟说,“我会拿全班最高分。”“你拿全班最高分?可你什么都不懂!”
这件事情与前面的数据显示了同一问题,女性天生容易低估自己的能力。如果做一个实验,让男性和女性回答一些很客观的问题,如GPA,男性会估计的偏高,而女性会估计的偏低。女性在职场中不为自己争取。过去两年的一项针对毕业生进入职场的研究,表明有57%的男生,或者说,男人,为自己的第一份工资协商,而只有7%的女性这么做。最重要的是,男性将成功归功于自己,而女性将成功归功于其他的外部因素。如果问男性,为什么你做的这么好?他们会说,“因为我很强。显而易见,为什么还要问呢?”如果问女性,你为什么做的这么好?她们会说,因为他人的帮助,因为她们幸运,因为她们努力。这有什么关系呢?这关系很大。因为坐在角落而不是桌边的人,不会得到好的办公室。不认为自己应得的人,或者不懂得自己的成功的人,也不会得到升迁。
我希望答案能很简单,我希望我能去告诉所有共事的年轻女性,这些优秀的女性,“相信自己,为自己争取,享受应得的成功。”我希望可以把这告诉我女儿。但不是这么简单,因为数据显示了最重要的一点,就是成功与受人接受的程度,在男性身上成正比关系,而对女性却成反比。大家都点头了,因为我们都知道这是事实。
一个不错的研究也很好的显示了这一点。有个著名的哈佛商学院研究,关于一位女性,名为Heidi Roizen。她是硅谷的一家公司的经营者,她通过自己的社会关系,成为了一位成功的风险资本家。在2002年,距今不算太久,一位教授,当时任教于哥伦比亚大学,使用了Heidi Roizen作为案例。然后他把这个案例印成两个版本,分给两组学生。他仅改动了一个字,把Heidi改为Howard,但这一改动造成很大的区别。他对学生进行调查,好消息是所有学生,不论男女,认为Heidi和Howard都很有能力,这一点不错。但坏消息是,人们都喜欢Howard。他这人不错,你想为他工作,你愿意陪他钓一天鱼。至于Heidi?就不那么确定了。她有点自利,有点自私,你不确定是否想要为她工作。这就是难题所在。我们要告诉女儿和同事们,我们要告诉自己,相信自己做的很好,去争取升职,去加入谈论。而我们不得不为此做出一些牺牲,而我们的兄弟就不必。
最悲哀的一点是,我们很难记住这一点。我要讲一件令我十分尴尬的事情,但我觉得这很重要。不久前我在Facebook对约一百名员工做过这场演讲。几小时后,一位在那工作的年轻女性,坐在我的小桌子之外,她想要跟我谈谈。我说,好。她坐下来,我们开始交谈。她说,“我今天知道了一点,我知道了我必须一直举着手。”我说,“这是什么意思呢?”她说,“你做这场演讲,你说你要再回答两个问题,我和其他人一样举起手。你准备再回答了两个问题,我放下手。我注意到其他女性也都把手放了下来。于是你又回答了两个问题,只回答男性的问题。”我心里想,哇,如果就算我,显然我是关注这个问题的,在做这场演讲。在这场演讲中,我都注意不到,男性举手了,女性也举手了。那我们作为公司和组织的管理者,给予男性机会多于女性的做法,能有多少改观呢?我们该让女性加入谈论。
第二点,找个真正的人生伴侣。我相信我们在职场中取得的进步,比在家庭中要多。数据清晰的说明了这点。如果妻子和丈夫都有全职工作,有一个孩子,妻子做的家务活是丈夫的两倍,而妻子照顾孩子的时间是丈夫的三倍。所以说女性有三份工作,或者两份,男性只有一份。你认为当需要有人照顾家里的时候,谁更容易放弃工作?这点的原因很复杂,我没有时间深入去讲。而且我不认为周日看足球赛,或者普遍的惰性就是原因。我认为原因更为复杂。我认为当今社会,相对于女孩,我们给男孩更多的压力要成功。我认识居家男人,在家工作来支持妻子的事业,这很难。当我去做亲子游戏,看到那个父亲在那里,我发现其他的母亲都不跟他玩。这就是问题,因为我们必须让这份工作,因为这是世上最难的工作,居家工作,对两性来说都很重要。如果我们想要平等,想把女性留在工作中。(掌声)研究显示收入均等的家庭,同时责任也均等,离婚率也是其他的一半。如果这一点不足以激励在座的各位,他们也更能...要怎么在讲台上说呢?也更能享受鱼水之欢。
(欢呼声)
第三点,不要过早离开。我想这是个深刻的讽刺,针对女性的一系列行为。我经常看到,客观上留在职场中,实际上最终导致离职。下面是事情的经过。我们都很忙,所有人都很忙,女性也很忙。她开始考虑要个孩子。当她开始这么考虑以后,她就会考虑给孩子留出空间。“我该怎么将这与其他事情平衡呢?”确切说就是那一刻起,她不再举手了,不再寻求升职机遇,不再接受新的项目,不再说“我,我来做这个”。她开始退缩了。问题在于,就说她怀孕的那一天,那一天起。9个月的妊娠期,3个月的产假,6个月的紧张生活,2年瞬间即逝。更经常的,在我看来,女性大多过早的考虑这个。当她们订婚,当她们结婚,当她们开始考虑要个孩子,其实还有很长时间。一位女性来找我谈这个。我看了看她,她看上去比较年轻。我说,“那么,你跟你丈夫开始考虑要个孩子了吗?”她说,“不,我还没结婚。”她甚至连男朋友都没有。我说,“你考虑这个有点为时过早。”
但问题是,当你默默退缩之后,发生了什么?每个人都有这种经历。我来告诉你,当你有了孩子,你的工作最好退让一下,因为把孩子扔在家里很难。你的工作要有挑战性,要有报酬,你要觉得自己在发光发热。如果2年前你没有升职,而是坐在你旁边的人升了。如果3年前,你不再寻求新的机遇,你现在会厌倦,因为你应该把脚踩在油门上。不要过早离开,继续工作,把脚踩在油门上,直到你需要离开的那一天,因为要照顾孩子,之后再做决定。不要过早做决定,特别是无意识下做出的决定。
我这一代,很悲哀,已经无法改变女性领导者的数目,不会有太大变动。我们达不到人口的50%,在我这一代,女性达不到各行各业领导者的50%。但我希望后代可以。我认为这样的世界,国家和企业的一半由女性领导,会变得更美好。不仅是因为人们就会知道女厕所在哪,虽然这也很有帮助,我认为世界会变得更美好。我有两个孩子,一个5岁的儿子,一个2岁的女儿。我希望我儿子可以有所选择,无论是全力工作,还是全力持家。我想让我女儿也可以有所选择,不只成功,而且因她的成就受人接受。
So for any of us in this room today, let's start out by admitting we're lucky. We don't live in the world our mothers lived in, our grandmothers lived in, where career choices for women were so limited. And if you're in this room today, most of us grew up in a world where we had basic civil rights. And amazingly, we still live in a world where some women don't have them. But all that aside, we still have a problem, and it's a real problem. And the problem is this: women are not making it to the top of any profession anywhere in the world. The numbers tell the story quite clearly. 190 heads of state -- nine are women. Of all the people in parliament in the world, 13 percent are women. In the corporate sector, women at the top, C-level jobs, board seats -- tops out at 15, 16 percent. The numbers have not moved since 2002 and are going in the wrong direction. And even in the non-profit world, a world we sometimes think of as being led by more women, women at the top: 20 percent.
We also have another problem, which is that women face harder choices between professional success and personal fulfillment. A recent study in the U.S. showed that, of married senior managers, two-thirds of the married men had children and only one-third of the married women had children. A couple of years ago, I was in New York, and I was pitching a deal, and I was in one of those fancy New York private equity offices you can picture. And I'm in the meeting -- it's about a three-hour meeting -- and two hours in, there kind of needs to be that bio break, and everyone stands up, and the partner running the meeting starts looking really embarrassed. And I realized he doesn't know where the women's room is in his office. So I start looking around for moving boxes, figuring they just moved in, but I don't see any. And so I said, "Did you just move into this office?" And he said, "No, we've been here about a year." And I said, "Are you telling me that I am the only woman to have pitched a deal in this office in a year?" And he looked at me, and he said, "Yeah. Or maybe you're the only one who had to go to the bathroom."
(Laughter)
So the question is, how are we going to fix this? How do we change these numbers at the top? How do we make this different? I want to start out by saying, I talk about this -- about keeping women in the workforce -- because I really think that's the answer. In the high-income part of our workforce, in the people who end up at the top -- Fortune 500 CEO jobs, or the equivalent in other industries -- the problem, I am convinced, is that women are dropping out. Now people talk about this a lot, and they talk about things like flex time and mentoring and programs companies should have to train women. I want to talk about none of that today -- even though that's all really important. Today I want to focus on what we can do as individuals. What are the messages we need to tell ourselves? What are the messages we tell the women that work with and for us? What are the messages we tell our daughters?
Now at the outset, I want to be very clear that this speech comes with no judgments. I don't h I don't even have it for myself. I left San Francisco, where I live, on Monday, and I was getting on the plane for this conference. And my daughter, who's three, when I dropped her off at preschool, did that whole hugging the leg, crying, "Mommy, don't get on the plane," thing. This is hard. I feel guilty sometimes. I know no women, whether they're at home, or whether they're in the workforce, that don't feel that sometimes. So I'm not saying that staying in the workforce is the right thing for everyone.
My talk today is about what the messages are if you do want to stay in the workforce. And I think there are three. One, sit at the table. Two, make your partner a real partner. And three -- don't leave before you leave. Number one: sit at the table. Just a couple weeks ago at Facebook, we hosted a very senior government official, and he came in to meet with senior execs from around Silicon Valley. And everyone kind of sat at the table. And then he had these two women who were traveling with him who were pretty senior in his department. And I kind of said to them, "Sit at the table. Come on, sit at the table." And they sat on the side of the room. When I was in college my senior year, I took a course called European Intellectual History. Don't you love that kind of thing from college. I wish I could do that now. And I took it with my roommate, Carrie, who was then a brilliant literary student -- and went on to be a brilliant literary scholar -- and my brother -- smart guy, but a water polo playing pre-med, who was a sophomore.
The three of us take this class together. And then Carrie reads all the books in the original Greek and Latin -- goes to all the lectures -- I read all the books in English and go to most of the lectures. My bro he reads one book of 12 and goes to a couple of lectures, marches himself up to our room a couple days before the exam to get himself tutored. The three of us go to the exam together, and we sit down. And we sit there for three hours -- and our little blue notebooks -- yes, I'm that old. And we walk out, and we look at each other, and we say, "How did you do?" And Carrie says, "Boy, I feel like I didn't really draw out the main point on the Hegelian dialectic." And I say, "God, I really wish I had really connected John Locke's theory of property with the philosophers that follow." And my brother says, "I got the top grade in the class." "You got the top grade in the class? You don't know anything."
The problem with these stories is that they show what the data shows: women systematically underestimate their own abilities. If you test men and women, and you ask them questions on totally objective criteria like GPA's, men get it wrong slightly high, and women get it wrong slightly low. Women do not negotiate for themselves in the workforce. A study in the last two years of people entering the workforce out of college showed that 57 percent of boys entering -- or men, I guess -- are negotiating their first salary, and only seven percent of women. And most importantly, men attribute their success to themselves, and women attribute it to other external factors. If you ask men why they did a good job, they'll say, "I'm awesome. Obviously. Why are you even asking?" If you ask women why they did a good job, what they'll say is someone helped them, they got lucky, they worked really hard. Why does this matter? Boy, it matters a lot because no one gets to the corner office by sitting on the side, not at the table. And no one gets the promotion if they don't think they deserve their success, or they don't even understand their own success.
I wish the answer were easy. I wish I could just go tell all the young women I work with, all these fabulous women, "Believe in yourself and negotiate for yourself. Own your own success." I wish I could tell that to my daughter. But it's not that simple. Because what the data shows, above all else, is one thing -- which is that success and likability are positively correlated for men and negatively correlated for women. And everyone's nodding, because we all know this to be true.
There's a really good study that shows this really well. There's a famous Harvard Business School study on a woman named Heidi Roizen. And she's an operator in a company in Silicon Valley, and she uses her contacts to become a very successful venture capitalist. In 2002 -- not so long ago -- a professor who was then at Columbia University took that case and made it Howard Roizen. And he gave case out -- both of them -- to two groups of students. He changed exactly one word: Heidi to Howard. But that one word made a really big difference. He then surveyed the students. And the good news was the students, both men and women, thought Heidi and Howard were equally competent, and that's good. The bad news was that everyone liked Howard. He's a great guy, you want to work for him, you want to spend the day fishing with him. But Heidi? Not so sure. She's a little out for herself. She's a little political. You're not sure you'd want to work for her. This is the complication. We have to tell our daughters and our colleagues, we have to tell ourselves to believe we got the A, to reach for the promotion, to sit at the table. And we have to do it in a world where, for them, there are sacrifices they will make for that, even though for their brothers, there are not.
The saddest thing about all of this is that it's really hard to remember this. And I'm about to tell a story which is truly embarrassing for me, but I think important. I gave this talk at Facebook not so long ago to about a hundred employees. And a couple hours later, there was a young woman who works there sitting outside my little desk, and she wanted to talk to me. I said, okay, and she sat down, and we talked. And she said, "I learned something today. I learned that I need to keep my hand up." I said, "What do you mean?" She said, "Well, you're giving this talk, and you said you were going to take two more questions. And I had my hand up with lots of other people, and you took two more questions. And I put my hand down, and I noticed all the women put their hand down, and then you took more questions, only from the men." And I thought to myself, wow, if it's me -- who cares about this, obviously -- giving this talk -- and during this talk, I can't even notice that the men's hands are still raised, and the women's hands are still raised, how good are we as managers of our companies and our organizations at seeing that the men are reaching for opportunities more than women? We've got to get women to sit at the table.
(Applause)
Message number two: make your partner a real partner. I've become convinced that we've made more progress in the workforce than we have in the home. The data shows this very clearly. If a woman and a man work full-time and have a child, the woman does twice the amount of housework the man does, and the woman does three times the amount of child care the man does. So she's got three jobs or two jobs, and he's got one. Who do you think drops out when someone needs to be home more? The causes of this are really complicated, and I don't have time to go into them. And I don't think Sunday football watching and general laziness is the cause.
I think the cause is more complicated. I think, as a society, we put more pressure on our boys to succeed that we do on our girls. I know men that stay home and work in the home to support wives with careers And it's hard. When I go to the Mommy-and-Me stuff and I see the father there, I notice that the other mommies don't play with him. And that's a problem, because we have to make it as important a job -- because it's the hardest job in the world -- to work inside the home for people of both genders if we're going to even things out and let women stay in the workforce. (Applause) Studies show that households with equal earning and equal responsibility also have half the divorce rate. And if that wasn't good enough motivation for everyone out there, they also have more -- how shall I say this on this stage? -- they know each other more in the biblical sense as well.
Message number three: don't leave before you leave. I think there's a really deep irony to the fact that actions women are taking -- and I see this all the time -- with the objective of staying in the workforce, actually lead to their eventually leaving. Here's what happens: We' everyone' a woman's busy. And she starts thinking about having a child. And from the moment she starts thinking about having a child, she starts thinking about making room for that child. "How am I going to fit this into everything else I'm doing?" And literally from that moment, she doesn't raise her hand anymore, she doesn't look for a promotion, she doesn't take on the new project, she doesn't say, "Me. I want to do that." She starts leaning back. The problem is that -- let's say she got pregnant that day, that day -- nine months of pregnancy, three months of maternity leave, six months to catch your breath -- fast-forward two years, more often -- and as I've seen it -- women start thinking about this way earlier -- when they get engaged, when they get married, when they start thinking about trying to have a child, which can take a long time. One woman came to see me about this, and I kind of looked at her -- she looked a little young. And I said, "So are you and your husband thinking about having a baby?" And she said, "Oh no, I'm not married." She didn't even have a boyfriend. I said, "You're thinking about this just way too early."
But the point is that what happens once you start kind of quietly leaning back? Everyone who's been through this -- and I'm here to tell you, once you have a child at home, your job better be really good to go back, because it's hard to leave that kid at home -- your job needs to be challenging. It needs to be rewarding. You need to feel like you're making a difference. And if two years ago you didn't take a promotion and some guy next to you did, if three years ago you stopped looking for new opportunities, you're going to be bored because you should have kept your foot on the gas pedal. Don't leave before you leave. Stay in. Keep your foot on the gas pedal, until the very day you need to leave to take a break for a child -- and then make your decisions. Don't make decisions too far in advance, particularly ones you're not even conscious you're making.
My generation really, sadly, is not going to change the numbers at the top. They're just not moving. We are not going to get to where 50 percent of the population -- in my generation, there will not be 50 percent of people at the top of any industry. But I'm hopeful that future generations can. I think a world that was run where half of our countries and half of our companies were run by women, would be a better world. And it's not just because people would know where the women's bathroom are, even though that would be very helpful. I think it would be a better world. I have two children. I have a five year-old son and a three year-old daughter. I want my son to have a choice to contribute fully in the workforce or at home. And I want my daughter to have the choice to not just succeed, but to be liked for her accomplishments.
北京优视米网络科技有限公司&&Umiwi版权所有&&&&京ICP备号
广告招商热线:010-&&商务合作热线:010-6

我要回帖

更多关于 少先队是谁领导的 的文章

随机推荐